-

April 1, 2014

Lindsay Blake

Lindsay Blake is constantly inspiring me. I was roommates with her and two other girls for a short time when she first began dating her husband. Since then she's had an adorable baby boy and moved to South Africa. She is a photographer and artist in every bit of her lifestyle, pursuing beautiful change and creativity in the day-to-day. I asked Lindsay to share about her beginnings as an artist and what she's up to in SA.



At his core, my father is an artist. And although he never pursued it as a profession, he is a brilliant wood carver. His eye for beauty is uncanny. He never went to university, but I owe 3/4 of my degree to that man. I didn’t know I loved art and creativity until later in life. Most of my childhood was focused on sports with the exception of my High School pottery class. I won several awards for my work all four years, but I never called myself an artist.




You could say I sort of stumbled into the arts, although I know God was in it. I chose to study photography in University because I needed a major and I enjoyed taking photos. I pursued a minor in writing because a professor told me I was talented.





My husband, Kevin, and I - along with our 10 month old son Carsen- currently live in Cape Town, South Africa. We are in the process of starting an artist ministry in Woodstock, the art hub of the city. We are opening a design studio that will be a place of refuge and encouragement for artists to create and collaborate. We want our space to be a place where excellent art is made and sold.


Investing into the culture makers of this world is important to us. We want artists to create excellent art that brings Life. Art has the ability to cross barriers and break down walls that surround people and countries because, art transcends language. I believe that in it's silent beauty art can and should reconcile man to man and man to God.



While there are many phases to our design studio, Phase I includes creating a kids line of t-shirts and hats. We want to create a fun line of t-shirts inspired by our son for other families to enjoy. This is our second creative collaboration together and it's always an interesting ride.

Like most artists, I have evolved over time. I create because it's a part of me. I dream because its inside of me. And I work hard to see my dreams and creations come true because it's who I am.


You can check out more of Lindsay’s writing and photography at www.lindsayblake.blogspot.com
Their Etsy shop at etsy.com/shop/design511shop
Their Society 6 shop at www.society6.com/design511

No comments :

Post a Comment