-

March 25, 2014

Blog Love - Molly of Almost Makes Perfect




There is an overwhelming amount of DIY blogs and "Pinspiration" out there, ready to choke the creative right out of me. However, I recently stumbled upon Almost Makes Perfect and was wonderfully surprised. The very name of the blog insists grace upon us fellow Do-It-Themself-ers and is an instant favorite. 

Molly's cheeky posts cover a variety of projects, from luggage tags to customizable mounted shelving to fancying up breakfast burritos (one of my favorites). She also posts on a variety of fun personal subjects like LA city guides and delivers some really heavenly mixtapes. I'm head-bobbin' to the February one right now. Molly has even had the opportunity to collaborate with West Elm and is teaching a craft workshop next month!


Molly told me a bit about her blogging self and I love her all the more. 

LEFT: DIY PICNIC BLANKET   |   RIGHT: DIY GOLDEN TRIANGLE GARLAND

M:      I am a blogger and desinger in Echo Park in Los Angeles. I work part time editing a TV show and spend the rest of the time DIYing for the blog. I also run a shop call Blogzilla, where we sell premade Wordpress blog themes. The rest of the time I'm usually binge watching TV shows with my fiancee and cuddling my cats. They're huge on cuddling. Also--I'm currently planning my wedding right now, which without a planner, ends up being close to a full time job. So basically right now I'm swamped!

I've done art since I was a little kid. My hands are covered in marker in all of my school pictures. I went to Otis College of Art + Design where I majored in digital media. I was doing motion graphics and editing, but always had more of a passion for print.

 I worked in broadcast design for about five years doing on-air graphics. But in LA, you lose jobs. Shows get cancelled, shows are only one season. I decided to just stop with the broadcast design and try to start working for myself freelancing. When I started the blog, I did it as a hobby -- but I love it so much that my goal is to make it my career. I think I'm on my way, but it might take a while and a lot of patience and hard work. 


LEFT: DIY WOODEN COAT RACK  |  RIGHT: DIY IPAD STAND

I started my blog because nothing I do is perfect--but I love making things. I also am all about the really simple, really special DIY projects. This copper + wood paper towel holder might be one of my favorites to date.

 All my friends thought of me as the Martha Stewart in the group so I decided to give it a try. In the two years I've been doing the blog, I've improved so much-- which just  goes to show that the 10,000 hours really does work. While most blogs people look at have one lovely project after the next with perfect styling and perfect execution--I wouldn't say that's mine. I acknowledge when I make mistakes and complain about things I should have done instead - and use my humor to make the blog a little different. I'd say it's a fun place. 



Visit Molly at www.almostmakesperfect.com and 
follow her cheerful Insta-feed @almostmakesperfect! 



All photos credit to Molly Madfis. 

No comments :

Post a Comment