-

August 29, 2017

Becoming a Natural in Front of the Lens



I'm beginning to think that being 'naturally photogenic' is a state of mind. That's a bold statement coming from a photographer, I know. Sure, there are people that are strikingly beautiful, but sometimes they can be the most awkward in front of the camera. Actually, I don't really love being in front of the camera myself. So, how do we fix that? Inevitably times will come where we'll need our photo taken (especially on those important occasions like engagements and weddings).  Below are a few tips for feeling less like a gremlin and more like the shining unicorn that you are in front of the camera. 



Comfort

If you know you're being photographed ahead of time, choose a comfortable setting and clothing to match. Choose an clothing that makes you feel like yourself. Comfort doesn't have to mean casual, but it can! Talk with your photographer about doing a home session. Those are some of my favorite sessions, because the client is most often more relaxed in their own element. 


Confidence

I love this quote by Anne Lamott. It's true! The best way to look good while being photographed is to be confident. It definitely translates on camera. Take a look in the mirror. Instead of picking out the flaws (which is so easy to do), highlight the things that you love about yourself, the things that make you you. Own it. If I think of those who inspire me most, it is always their peace and sense of self that is most empowering

Reflect

Sometimes when I'm feeling a little hard on myself, I'll scroll through some old photos on social media. I'll stroll down memory lane and remember all those sweet times and see myself how I was back then. Usually I'll end up thinking, 'why was I so hard on myself? I looked great!' and try to remember the same is true for now. 


We are beautiful in this season. Whether that's feeling and looking your best today or carrying an extra 20 pounds because you're growing a human. Wherever you might be today, remember you are the only you. Be gracious to yourself. We have the potential to be something beautiful and miraculous on this earth. 


xo, 

Sabrina


No comments :

Post a Comment